Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Center for Puppetry Arts

I realize my blog is all over the place.  Unfortunately with "The Mexican" traveling so much for work I have less material.  I've decided to keep a notepad with me so I can jot down funny or interesting things when it comes to being married to my entertaining hubby.

In between humorous post about our life you'll probably see   "Spanish Friday" posts, "Multicultural Monday" posts, "What's on your Cellphone" posts, and "Things to do around Atlanta" posts.   I'm going to try to post at least once a week and keep things entertaining.

With all that being said  typed...

Hubby and I have decided to start having more family outings.  There is so much to do here in Atlanta.  Our son is such a curious child.  We want to feed that curiosity.





This past weekend we went to the  Center for Puppetry Arts.
 
Image credit: puppet.wikia.com

This is such an awesome place!  This is actually our 2nd trip.  We loved it so much the 1st time, we couldn't wait to go back.  


We bought tickets  to the performance "Space."

Image credit: www.puppetry.org

Once we arrived we went upstairs to make our very own space puppet. (this activity is included in admission price)  They had stations set up with supplies and instructions on how to make your puppet.


After making our puppets, we learned that they glow under a black light!





Next on to the museum.....

The center has an awesome museum dedicated to the art of puppetry.  You are able to view  many different styles of puppets and how they work.

This is an example of "shadow" puppetry.  



This was a giant praying mantis.  A "rod" puppet.  We were able to give it a try.  It was so huge!



This is a mechanical puppet on display which was pretty cool.  It looked like a trash can until it opened up then it reminded us of a Pterodactyl.







There was also a Jim Henson exhibit.  I'm a huge Sesame Street and Muppets fan!  Cameras were not allowed so I was unable to take any pictures of the life size replica of Big Bird, Kermit, and all my favorites.

SHOW TIME!

This play was amazing!  We learned all about space, the planets, the sun, the moon, gravity,  our galaxy, and so much more.  It was very educational.  I learned quite a few things I did not know.  It was full of music, an awesome light show, rod puppets, shadow puppetry, and black lights.  The pupeteers  were extremely talented.  What I especially liked was after the performance the puppeteers came out on stage and explained how their puppets worked.

We left knowing tons more about space and the art of puppetry. Not only did our son have a blast, but hubby and I did also.  I highly recommend checking out the Center for Puppetry Arts in Atlanta Georgia.  We can't wait to go back.




All opinions are my own.  I was not compensated in anyway for this review.

5 comments:

  1. I love that place! I went lots of times as a kid and Jeni and Luis have been a few times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it great Stephanie! I want to start taking our son pretty regular. They have a performance that is bi-lingual and I can't wait for that one. I wonder if they have something like this in Mexico....

      Delete
  2. That looks like so much fun! Love the colors and the variety of puppets!

    ReplyDelete