Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine's Day

Happy Valentine's Day!

Image credit: www.enflyer.com


"The Mexican" is still out of town.  We will not be spending Valentine's Day together this year.  They say "absence makes the heart grow fonder" and it is true.
Although I'm un poco triste, I'm choosing to look at the bright side!

The bright side?  Yes, there is a silver lining to this cloud.

I'm going to buy my own present!

Hubby has always  been a procrastinator when it comes to buying gifts.  He usually waits until there is nothing left at the stores.  For example, he always chooses Christmas Eve afternoon to go look for my Christmas present.

He has told me in the past to take the money he was going to spend and pick something out.
For years I refused.  It just isn't the same.  I wanted to see his creativity shine!

It is not so much about the price of the gift or the size of the gift, it's all about the creativity.
Don't get me wrong.  He has tried.  I give him major kudos for effort.

After our son was born,  I told hubby for Christmas I wanted a  necklace with our son's birthstone in it.  Our son was born in November.  I told him this was the "citrine" birthstone and even pointed it out to him in the store.  Christmas morning I couldn't wait to open my gift.  Imagine my surprise when I opened the box and saw a necklace with an "opal" in it!  October's birthstone!

Then one year for my birthday, hubby surprised me at work with a brand new car!  Yes, the thought and effort were extremely nice.  Actually the creativity was out of the roof on this one!  My new red sport/race car had tons of racing gadgets inside and actual racing stripes going down the leather seats. The silver gas peddles had silver studs and it actually had some kind of extra tank to make it go faster. You could hear me coming from miles away.  I started freaking out asking if he signed a contract yet.  Thankfully we were able to take it back and switch it for a more toned down sports car.  A camaro!  The sports car I had always wanted.
(guess that one turned around in my favor!)

Over the years our gifts to each other have gotten smaller.  It's all about our son now.

So, this Christmas I gave him some suggestions.  I mentioned I needed some house shoes, a new bath robe, etc.  Christmas morning I opened my present.  He actually got me a nice new bath robe 3 sizes too small!  Oh well, I was flattered he thought I could fit into it!

I'm very blessed to have a wonderful husband who although may not be the creative gift giver I dream of, he definitely loves his family and shows us in so many other ways.

I hope everyone has a beautiful Valentine's Day!  Don't forget to tell the special  people and friends in your life how much they mean to you!


20 comments:

  1. Lol Tara. I think "The Mexican" might be my husbands long lost brother. When it comes to giving gifts, men just suck at it. But you gotta love them for trying. Happy Valentines Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL... does that mean we are long lost sister-in laws? Yes, you definitely have to love them for trying!

      Delete
  2. I agree with rubireyes, my husband does exactly like yours when it comes to buying presents, like today. He just told me, "I have to go buy your present so, I will see you later."
    I am like, WTF??? I tell him over and over, he needs to prepare like I do. But, we have been together for almost 6 years and it has always been the same so, I am getting used to it. LOL
    Happy Valetine's Day!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just like my hubby.... announcing he is leaving to go get your present! No surprise there. Too funny!
      Happy Valentine's Day!

      Delete
  3. Okay Ladies...I had to "teach" my husband about gift giving. By that I mean, I explained to him that finding and giving the perfect gift is an art. And part of the secret is to "listen" to what the other person wants. To make things even easier for him I make a list. For example, at Christmas, I write a letter to Santa and I include several things I would like to find underneath the Christmas tree. It makes it easier for him and me happy. He's gotten better over the years and will now even dare to buy something on his own, example: Starbucks chocolates. Don't give up...and Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie,
      Thanks so much for the awesome suggestions. I think I will give him a list of things around Christmas time and maybe he'll keep it in his wallet for future reference. Knowing my luck, he'll toss it. LOL Oh, and I also need to put dates on that list, because he has a hard time remembering birthdays, anniversaries and holidays... MEN!

      Delete
  4. Men come up with the strangest gifts. I hope you and your husband will be together on Valentine's Day next year.
    I love your new design!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Estrellita! Glad you like the new design. Hope you had a great Valentine's Day!

      Delete
  5. Tara! Ay, Amiga. I'm cracking up. I thought you wrote: "Abstinence makes the heart ... " Que carcajada me di! I can feel the warmth and love you feel for your esposo every time you write about him. Un besito and I'm sorry you didn't get to spend it with him. Hopefully, he made it up to you. : D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now, that would have been funny Ezzy! I should have written "absitnence" instead... LOL

      Delete
  6. Wow, on the car! He loves ya and he's perfect for ya, he's just not perfect.

    On a totally different subject, check the QR code on your sidebar. I tried it on my iPhone and it didn't work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exacto!

      Thanks for infoming me about the QR code. I'll let hubby know when he gets home. I have no clue how all of that works. He made it for me and it worked on my phone, checked it a few mins ago, and it never would go to the site. I'll have him look into it. =)

      Delete
  7. Sorry you and your husband spent Valentine's apart. Then again you can always celebrate it when he gets back. Who says you can celebrate it another day?

    Ok, so I'm curious what did you end up getting for yourself? Thanks for commenting on my blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do ya know that I've yet to buy my present... I'm not forgetting I'm owed one though. LOL I'm thinking a camera would be a super nice gift from myself to myself via hubby!

      Delete
  8. Tara, I thought I commented on this last week, but I guess I forgot...lol. I LOVE this story! It reminds me so much of me and my hubby. :) He's also the type to always get me something sweet, but kind of missing the mark...lol. It's great that you can enjoy a laugh together about it and that you have those sweet, quirky memories to keep you company while he's away. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Chantilly. I could never get mad at him because I know where his heart is. You hit the nail on the head when you said "getting something sweet but kind of missing the mark!"

      Delete
  9. Oh boy, I'm lucky - we don't have a hassle about V-day. My hubby remembers me almost daily - not buying necessarily nothing - but he's kind and I know he loves me...
    In Finland V-day is more like a day of friendship, not lovers day...
    Have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. I wish our V-day here in the states was more about friendship. I know my hubby loves me and society puts so much focus on roses and hearts and it's all kind of corny.... if I do say so myself. No gift is needed to prove his love, although I need a camera so I'm going to keep the pressure on... till I present it to myself. haha

      Delete
  10. Your husband is so lucky you are a wonderfully laid back person who can appreciate that "It's the thought that counts" Otherwise he might be in the dog house ;-P LOVE this story (and all your stories!) You always brighten my day with your humor, Tara. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen for all your sweet comments! Yep, I have to agree with ya. He is lucky!

      Delete