Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Quinceanera Surprise Dances

Okay, so the other day I accidentally stumbled upon a video on YouTube.  The video was of a "baile de sopresa" (surprise dance) at this young girl's "quinceanera."

For those who may not know....  A quinceanera is the celebration of a girl's 15th birthday.  It marks the transition from childhood into young womanhood.  Think of it as a "latin sweet 16 celebration".... just a year earlier.


I've never actually been to a quinceanera although I've always wanted to go to one.  Hubby has DJed for several quinces many years ago.  I never heard him mention un baile de sopresa (surprise dance).  Is this something new?

After stumbling upon this video, my curiosity was peaked.  I started watching video after video of these "surprise dances".

I've learned quite a bit.  This may be old news to everyone out there, but it was new news to me.... therefore I am sharing.

Apparently, surprise dances are quite popular.  You can choreograph your own dance, hire a choreographer, or even hire a dance team to dance with you!  WOW!

How much does something like this cost? I can only imagine.  From what I've read, a choreographer can be $400-$500 and a dance team anywhere between $1000-$2000.  A lot of it depends on the type of dances you want and how many people are in your court.
(Omg! Then you have to pay for the venue, food, cake, DJ, dress, and everything else that goes along with a quinceanera.  Boy am I glad I have a son!  You might as well be paying for a wedding...)

Below are some of the videos I watched of the bailes de sopresas.  Check them out.  You really have to give props to these kids for putting such hard work into learning these routines. What a fabulous job they all did!




11 comments:

  1. love those surprise dances...the last one I went to the birthday girl was did a huge performance dance as Bella from Beauty and the Beast! Talk about a production! But it was so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a production Erica! I cant begin to imagine what it was like. I've really been shocked by what I've seen.... A lot of time and money is invested, no doubt!!! Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. The surprise dance is really awesome, but not too many do it. They usually stick to the traditional waltz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie,
      Yeh, I was researching some last night and saw you can hire a choreographer to choreograph your whole court on not only a "suprise dance" but the "waltz" as well. I didn't even know that the waltz was the traditional dance performed. I really need to go to a 15era so I can see what they are all about.
      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. I've heard about that teenage celebration but have never been to one. Everyone is always trying to out do everyone else. It does get ridiculous expensive. A surprise dance would send me for a surprise chiropractor visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill,
      Your comment was hilarious. I have a feeling I'd be right there with ya.... either the chiropractor or the emergency room.

      Delete
  4. W-O-W !!! I've never been to one and I never had one myself ...... My favorite was the 1st video you posted.... mannnnnnnnnnnn............ that must've been MONTHS of practice!!! I must see it again! Maybe learn some moves. LOL Hey, do you think it's too late for me to have something like this at my 31st birthday party?? LMAO!!!! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Day,
      The 1st is my fav too. She had everything in hers! Hip-hop, salsa, a little of everything. Girl, it's never too late! If you do it, you better invite me (remember, we don't live far from each other).... oh, and I don't dance, so unfortunately I will not be able to be in your dance group. LOL :P

      Delete
  5. This is awesome. Love to learn to dance like that. One day maybe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting! I'd love to learn to dance like that too. I use to be on my high school dance/drill team and we had to learn choreographed dance routines.... but it looks like the choreography has definitely changed over the years.
      Glad you stopped by. I need to stop by your blog and catch up!

      Delete
  6. Love these dances! The girls really go all-out at their parties. It's a great way to spend time with friends and family preparing for the big day, and is a very community-oriented event.

    ReplyDelete